If you’re new to the wine cooler scene, you may have some questions about the best thermoelectric wine coolers. In this article, we are going to address some of those questions.
Click on any of the items in the box and go directly to that item:
- 1 What Does Thermoelectric Mean?
- 2 What Are The Pros And Cons of Thermoelectric Cooling?
- 3 COMPARISON OF POPULAR THERMOELECTRIC WINE COOLERS
- 4 Koldfront 7 Series 18 Bottle Free Standing Dual Zone Wine Cooler TWR187ESS
- 5 Whynter 20 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
- 6 Haier – Thermoelectric Wine Cooler- HVTEC16DABS – Black
What Does Thermoelectric Mean?
To understand thermoelectric cooling we have to understand the Peltier effect. In 1834 French scientist Jean Peltier discovered that when two different types of metal have an electrical current running between them a heat flux is produced.
In other words, heat will flow toward one of the plates of metal and away from the other. This “flow” causes the plate that is having its heat pulled away to become cold.
This is the Peltier effect. This effect has the added bonus of needing no refrigerants of any kind. And there are no other moving parts aside from the fan(s).
What Are The Pros And Cons of Thermoelectric Cooling?
The benefits of a thermoelectric wine cooler are many:
- There are no moving parts (except for the circulation fans)
- You will find no circulating liquids or gasses. Because it does not contain liquids or gasses there will be no harm done to the environment
- Another benefit for some of us is the smaller size of thermoelectric wine coolers
- When these wine coolers are set up on your countertop or the floor, and the leveling feet have been adjusted right, vibration and sound become imperceptible
- Lastly, the maintenance of the desired humidity levels requires far less work than when you own a compressor-cooled unit (compressors tend to evaporate the much-needed humidity).
The cons for the thermoelectric wine coolers are minimal but important considerations:
- Higher initial cost
- Lower power efficiency
- Easily affected by ambient room temperatures
- Cooling capacity to up 20 degrees cooler than room temperature
- Should be placed OUT of direct sunlight
- Unless expressly stated by the manufacturer it cannot be placed in an enclosure such as under a cabinet.
In the wine cooler industry, design engineers work constantly to develop Peltier wine coolers with lower costs and with more streamlined features.
COMPARISON OF POPULAR THERMOELECTRIC WINE COOLERS
NewAir AW-280E 28 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
- Stainless steel door frame
- Double-paned glass door
- Black outer shell.
- Weight = 50 pounds
- Dimensions = 18.1 x 20.9 x 29.2 inches
- Six (6) shelves
- Capacity up to 28 bottles
- Digital temperature display
AKDY 21 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler WC0021
- Dual-zone cooler
- Electronic touchpad with an LED display
- Reduced noise and vibration
- Minimal energy consumption
- Efficient heat dissipation
- One year parts warranty against manufacture defects
- Seven (7) wooden shelves
- Weight = 47.6 pounds
- Dimensions are 20 x 13.4 x 32.3 inches
- Double-paned glass
- Capacity = up to 21 bottles
Koldfront 7 Series 18 Bottle Free Standing Dual Zone Wine Cooler TWR187ESS
- Chills both reds and whites to their optimum serving temperatures
- Dual zones
- Capacity: up to nine (9) bottles of white in the upper zone, and nine (9) bottles of red in the lower zone.
- LED lighting
- State of the art vibration-free technology
- Internal fan evenly distributes cooled air through the wine coolers
- Four (four) wooden racks
- Black outer cabinet with stainless steel door frame
- Weight: 35.3 pounds
- Dimensions: 25.33″ H x 14″ W x 22.25″ D
An exceptional choice for amateur and professional gourmets and collectors.
Whynter 20 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler
- Black tinted mirror glass door
- Capacity of up to 20 bottles
- Recessed handle is a space saver
- Five (5) premium stainless steel trimmed scalloped chrome shelves
- Soft-touch digital control panel
- LED lights with an on-and-off switch
- Solid state components
- Weight: 39 pounds
- Even temperature distribution
- Dimensions: 20.5 in. W x 16 in. D x 22 in. H.
Click Here For Competitive Pricing On The Whynter 20 Bottle Thermoelectric Wine Cooler On Amazon.com!
Haier – Thermoelectric Wine Cooler- HVTEC16DABS – Black
- Zero vibration
- External Touch panel temperature display control
- Dual zone
- Capacity: up to 16 bottles
- Interior LED light
- Adjustable chrome metal shelves
- Weight: 38.4 pounds
- Dimensions: 20.3”D x 33.4”H x 9.9”W
- Smoky Black Door Glass
These thermoelectric wine refrigerators are perfect for use in an office or other personal space where lack of noise is preferred. Their small size makes them perfect for cooling wines for serving. They are compact and freestanding making them a perfect choice for homes with little extra space.